Monday, October 08, 2007

Sunday Sermon Notes dated 16th Sept 07

VICTORY OVER OUR HANDICAPS
Ps. Peter Chng

1 Chronicles 4:9-10
9Jabez was honored more than his brothers; and his mother named him Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him in pain.” 10Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from hurt and harm!” And God granted what he asked.

3 things Jabez did to overcome his handicap

1. He faced his handicap

- He didn’t live in self-denial.

- He didn’t run away from his handicap, problems or struggles (by running away does not help you but is killing you)

- He faced his handicap manfully by not pushing the blame to others.

- He faced it spiritually by crying out to God to bless him in his life.

- He faced it courageously

2. He fought his handicap
Verse 10 says: “10Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from hurt and harm!” And God granted what he asked.”

- Jabez called upon the God of Israel – fight it with real (relevant) prayer in his life. He didn’t beat around the bush.

3. He forgot his handicap
- By overcoming it and not sweeping it under the carpet.
- If sweep under the carpet it’ll surface one day through dust or smell.
- Refused to let others or the devil distract him (you).


God works through people with the following qualities:
Faithful
Available
Teachable

No comments: