Scripture Text: Proverbs 3:5-6
Speaker: Ps. Patrick Lau
Date: 7 June 09
5Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your
6In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
(1) WE CAN TRUST GOD, OUR HEAVENLY
FATHER because HE is a good Heavenly
- Our Heavenly Father is completely different from our earthly father.
Characteristics of God, Our Heavenly Father…
1st – HE is our HEAVENLY FATHER
Matthew 6:9 "Pray, then, in this way:
'Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
2nd – Our Heavenly Father is in-charge of all the affairs of this world.
Matthew 6:10 “'Your kingdom come Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.”
3rd – Our Heavenly Father is our provider
Matthew 6:11 'Give us this day our daily bread.’
4th – Our Heavenly Father is the One who can forgives us and forgives us without hesitation. As long as we go before Him in repentance, He forgives.
Matthew 6:12 ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.’
5th – Our Heavenly Father is a Father who delivers, watches over us by letting us know where are the pit falls and temptation so that we can escape.
Matthew 6:13 'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]'
- All power and glory belongs to HIM. No other powers can stay before HIM.
- Because of HIS characteristics, no matter what we go through, we can trust in HIM.
- Don’t doubt HIM when HE asks you to go to do something or go to some places or do something that seems ridiculous to you.
Example: God ask Abraham to sacrifice his son, Isaac and Abraham did it and before Abraham can kill his son, GOD intervened and stopped him from doing so. Abraham was willing to obey because he knows who GOD is – Abraham trusted God 100%.
(2) GOD OUR HEAVENLY FATHER SHOULD BE
- We may have failed to trust God in our past and thus made some mistakes and now living in regrets, but God doesn’t wants us to live in regrets in our lives, that's why we need to trust HIM (because of our relationship with HIM through Jesus Christ).
Example: King Saul who did not learn to trust God in HIS timing. HE took over the Prophet Samuel’s role to offer sacrifices when King Saul didn’t see Prophet Samuel, he began to get anxious and want to please the people instead of God. Thus he lived in regrets the rest of his life.
- God is gracious, He will gives us chance again to learn to trust in HIM, if we failed the last time.
- We need to be humble before God.
(3) GOD MUST BE TRUSTED
- When we understand the characteristics of God that HE can be trusted, this will lead to HE should be trusted and must be trusted.
- We must trust God to lead us, guide us in life.
Example: H1N1 Flu
Matthew 24:8 "But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.
Luke 21:26 men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
God can be trusted, should be trusted and must be trusted.