Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Principal's Office

Principal from elite primary school: "...girl...you must study hard...if not you will go to stupid secondary school (those not so well-know secondary school - which means those neighbourhood schools)...if you don't behave yourself...(the principal twist his body and opened a cupboard full of canes, try to frighten me)...I will punish you..." (I am just a Primary 2 kid at that time...imagine the stress level I am going through...)

Current Principal from AGBC: " Janey, I would like to encourage you is that..."

Yesterday, 11 May 2005, I have a chat with the Principal for an assessment of my strengths & weakness. When I went back home, besides thinking about what my bible school principal told me, suddenly I recalled of the day when I need to meet my elite primary school principal - just because I flung my test and in that elite school, they want to make sure every student makes the mark of scoring so as not to pull down the ranking of the school. That's why when a student failed a test, he/she could not get back their test papers, not only that, one of the parents need to go to the principal's office together with their child to listen to the principal's story, after that the test papers will be returned to the child so that their mum/dad could sign on the test papers. Sign...tedious...right? What to do? The educational system in Singapore is not targeting at teaching the kids or the students to appreciate that joy of learning but competition and acceptance is only you could prove yourself much more brighter and smarter than any one else. Of course there are a handful of schools that are very good to the students.

Two decades later, I am being found in the principal's office again. Not because I have done something wrong or incorrigible...hahaha....but I would like the principal to give me an assessment of my strengths and weakness - in short what he saw in my attitudes.

I am surprised by the way how he looks at a person and how he encouraged a student. Even he sees a weakness, he did not say that this is a negative side of yours, he simply just said that he would like to see me improve in one of the area of _________.

This is what I really meant by building a student up and really valuing and appreciating the student. I went out of the Principal's office with a sense of renewed strength and I felt that I have gone closer in knowing him. Truly he is a shepherd that I could learn from. (I must also remember that Jesus is the Greatest Shepherd - The Shepherd of my soul).

I remember that I learnt this song "THE SHEPHERD OF MY SOUL" when I am a young Christian:

Shepherd of my soul

I give You full control

Wherever You lead I will follow

I have made the choice

To listen to Your voice

Whenever You may lead I will go

Chorus:

Be it in a quiet pasture

Or by a gentle stream

The Shepherd of my soul is by my side

Should I face a mighty mountain

Or a valley dark and deep

The Shepherd of my soul will be my guide

Hope what I have shared will be a blessing to those who read.

No comments: